Tuesday, June 18, 2013


It may still be a few months, but it feels like we are starting to get close to 'go time' for construction.  Of course, the first step will be demolition of the existing interior space.  Once we bring in a demolition company anything that is in there technically becomes space in a landfill.  'Technically' because in actual fact, if the demolition crew finds anything of value, they will be in a position to sell it on once it is removed from that house.  Since we are paying to have it demolished and carted to disposal, we would be none the wiser if they kept some valuable salvage.  With that in mind, we've been working on removing some of the stuff we want now.

There's really not much in the house worth saving.  Most of the wood is in bad shape because of the leaky roof.  The interior doors are in passable shape.... they can be re-used (although probably not as doors).  There's also a really nice railing and banister on the interior stairs.

We weren't sure how to remove the railing and banisters, but it turned out to be really easy. 

Once one piece is removed:

The rest just comes appart.  These craftsmen were amazing...  no glue and very few nails:

Friday, June 14, 2013

What's the latest news?

The project is still waiting for approval from the Camera Municipal.  There's actually two more approvals required, and we can't apply for the second until we get the first.  It's been a bit difficult, at one point we were rejected and had to re-work the plans.  That might have been a disaster if it weren't for the incredible determination of our architect who did everything humanly possible (including stalking municipal employees) to insure that we got the project back on track with the minimum delay.

There a a few other side projects happening.  For example, this week we finally got an answer from the gas company EDP about whether/how they could hook up our business for piped gas.  Happily, we were able to get them to agree to do do a slightly non-standard hookup.  It took a number of meetings, and more then a month to get them to understand the problem, but ultimately, we got there and honestly, that's all that matters.

We have also started the search for a construction company to contract the building work.  The goal is to select one and have them there waiting (shovel in hand) the second our construction license comes through.

Our initial goal to have the construction license at the beginning of July has definitely been pushed back, but all things considered, we think the process is going about as smooth as could be expected.  If all goes well from here, we should have construction started on an Aug/Sept timeframe.  It's hard to say how long the build will take, but we are still optimistic to be open for summer next year.